Thursday, December 2, 2010

Video review: Systema Strength and Flexibility Training


Martial Art: Systema.
DVD: "Systema Strength and Flexibility" by Kwan Lee.
Clip: Dynamic Stretching.
Amazon.com Page


Review:

I first heard about Systema from internet forum questions and topics. For a period of time I thought Systema was a self-defense method or combatives system. I set out on a research project to learn more about Systema and found it to be a martial art with all the accompanying philosophies, methods and history; not an abridged system. The Systema founders claim it is descended from and rooted in Russian Orthodox Christianity.

This video was made by Kwan Lee, founder and head instructor of Russian Martial Art Arizona.

While I found the material regarding exercise physiology and joints in the video to be accurate from my own knowledge through education and experience there is no supporting evidence or citations provided in the video. The dynamic stretching methods are completely new to my experience and I found them to be fascinating and useful. I've adopted that portion of the video into my own training routines.

While I gleaned some useful tidbits on training methods from the video I do not recommend a novice to the martial arts try to do the same. I already have a deep foundation in proper body mechanics and the basics of the martial arts. Without that prior training I wouldn't be able to understand what Mr. Lee was doing in the video. There are portions of the video that should not be attempted by novices without proper supervision. The clip I feature here is the easiest to understand and the least likely for some one to screw up attempting to do what they see. I still don't recommend anyone try to learn from this video without prior training or under qualified supervision.

I found the information in this video to be accurate, though unsupported by citation so verification could take some one quite a while if they aren't alread educated in those fields of exercise science. The exercises for joint mobility, conditioning, and strengthening are some of the best I've seen from any system or style.

END OF REVIEW.

This Blog entry is dedicated to Mo Mo who has screwed his wrists up by attempting to improvise strength and conditioning training without proper supervision.

6 comments:

  1. A lot of it is based on what Vladimir Vasiliev wrote in his early book "Let Every Breath..." It's a worthwhile read to support Kwan Lee's assertions. Check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will have to try this. Looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the complete video. Since it's not a video trying to teach martial arts technique I feel one with enough foundation in fitness and exercise could follow the program as shown. It's not easy by any means of the imagination and I anticipate it produces the results it promises.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Video, my wrists feel a bit better since i have been doing them

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this concept. I visited your blog for the first time.

    ReplyDelete